FTP access

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
snowdrop
developer
FTP access

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 24, 2011 03:59

Public FTP access to our binaries:

snowdrop.dlinkddns.com 21
public / anonymous

...it's supposed to be 24/7 but due to some ISP troubles it's down between 21oo - 06oo every day GMT+1. Will be fixed though.

Should you want write access please contact me.
TorbenBeta

Re: FTP access

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Jul 24, 2011 09:59

What is FTP?
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 24, 2011 21:33

Q_x wrote:FTP is good for you!
*falls of chair laughing*

...Q_x, that was not helpful indeed :P ...then again, you're right: FTP is good for him and everyone else until something better comes along :)

Torben: I won't speak for Q_x, but for myself. Usually it's very easy to look things up on the net, at least if they're basic stuff like FTP is. I'm sure a search would explain it way better and faster than any forum, not to mention ours ;)

Summed up though, FTP is File Transfer Protocal, and on could say it's a specific and old language that computers speak with each other to exchange files.

Visit http://filezilla-project.org/ and grab the client. With it you can connect to the server next to the dining table and fetch whatever files are on it. We'll be using FTP for a while now instead of bzr for working with the files to see how it turns out.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Mon Jul 25, 2011 13:07

I use filezilla since like forever, more or less every other day, and I can't say enough good about it. It may be a bit on heavy side in terms of resources eaten, but it has never failed me. Basic set of features, nothing fancier than directory comparison view.
Good (proprietary, windows-only) client is Total Commander, also valuable tool for file management. I'm quite sure you will find some similar tools, like Krusader for KDE (which is superior to Gnome Commander in terms of feature set), just for experiencing a bit different style of those apps. Also they actually may do a job of updating files a tiny bit more straightforward.
Before WT I was in 99% uploading and downloading files, nearly never synchronizing anything, I was (and I'm still) quite happy with filezilla.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.