cs db & advertising

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
Re: cs db & advertising

Post by Q_x » Sun Apr 22, 2012 13:23

I don't want this to be one of those loooong convos :(
I have to agree about initial playtesting before releasing. Yet another loop that may screw us for a year, but I can't argue with that. The optimistic variant is "Can we pass that?" type of test - quality check only, followed by a release without any changes. A dream maybe, but after the time we all spent here I expect the game either to be completely screwed (in my case = hitting rock bottom, accepting the failure, never touching game design task again) or "a sort of playable".

The card count, shaping faction differences, having, or having not enough cards of given type - this may be worked out later, I think after all those changes it can't be reasonably done without playtesting, and understanding if latest changes are working or not, if the card types are "in place" - like if quests are working at all, or is it too much hassle, or what conditions will make it easy to play (no constant checks, no calculations, no dozens of tokens to count something etc.). I'd be happy to tackle development of hero cards later in the future, that is developing it together with shaping factions, as this is really tightly connected matter. Again - nothing will prevent us from using those as soon as someone does it. I see it all, also rule development, as a constant process, a flow, rather than threshold/goal steps. The difference is only is when you try to close a given subject, call something finished.

Forget my template design, I was talking about RB re-colorization for all the time.

I didn't want to attack you personally, but I see you're getting defensive. In the end, who does most, leads the rest. I guess we all could do better. But if what you wrote was true, some of us would already fork WT and depart, as it was with ravenchild's proposals.

I'll try to be constructive and work on some cards (quest cards maybe?) in the meanwhile. I must say CS was decent tool for the job. Not really "creative" in my case, but it got the job done without much distraction (all but exporting data). I'm getting rash whenever I start any "work" type of software, I guess it's maybe time to look for a new job - probably also in new profession. Are they hiring sad bacpackers with poor English somewhere?
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Apr 22, 2012 14:26

Quests would be nice. Just focus on Gaian & Banner. :) Also re-check the rules in the wiki about them and what "subtypes" of quests there are... I often have to re-fresh memory myself before (re)doing cards and it helps.

Re-colouring in inkscape is a nightmare as I can't easily select which elements to re-colour without having to move them and then try to put them back in exact position again. Sure, there are a couple of ways to do that but it's not anywhere near smooth. :| I think thete is some xml-stuff though built in that I haven't explored yet, and that might be something.

My to-do list the coming month:

- Sandscape feedback
- Extracting data from CS db
- RB template (hard also because I haven't managed to find good red colours that don't look like shit on template, staying deep/wine red without becoming brown...)
- Checking out Scribus files
- Whatever pops up
Are they hiring sad bacpackers with poor English somewhere?
They are, but only to exploit ;) Kind of like Polish peope coming to Sweden along with Thai to get crap wages, and Swedes going to Norway for the same... labor force moving around... every nations citizens are shat upon somewhere... :roll:
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Sun Apr 22, 2012 16:28

I guess being exploited in Sweden is a bit brighter future, than achieving the state of mind I often come across here.

As for the colors, I think while ago I've mailed you "easy to edit" card - one "assembled" inside with cloned elements arranged around it, so that you can jump from clone to the original. Not sure if this was the latest template or not.
As for the colors - it's close to impossible to get any dark, rich tones - here brain takes in charge and plays tricks, together with human eye. It's even harder with printed stuff, all really have to work together in terms of "technical correctness". Or just take an eyedropper and measure whatever you like... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biara ... ionata.jpg
or http://www.healthmango.com/wp-content/u ... etroot.jpg
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Apr 22, 2012 18:40

Q_x wrote:I guess being exploited in Sweden is a bit brighter future, than achieving the state of mind I often come across here.
I wouldn't be so sure.... ;)

As for the colors, I think while ago I've mailed you "easy to edit" card - one "assembled" inside with cloned elements arranged around it, so that you can jump from clone to the original. Not sure if this was the latest template or not.

I recall something similar and you probably did. Re-mail if you find it in your sent-basket, else I'll do my best to dig it out from my own... I can't locate it right now though.. hrm... *blames airbrick*
As for the colors - it's close to impossible to get any dark, rich tones /../ even harder with printed stuff, all really have to work together in terms of "technical correctness"
Yeah, I remember us having the print-is-hard discussion about this. We'll see what I end up with.. will put the gaian files in here as well so people can have a go.