My Public "Crazy Experiment" Dropbox

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Mudskipper
My Public "Crazy Experiment" Dropbox

Post by Mudskipper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 22:11

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2rc8gs60oezm ... ubmissions

I've been going over some of the trunk files, and have pieced together some concept cards using the BfW unused art and the various card templates. I've decided to share my creations, as some of the mechanics might actually end up working well in Wtactics.

Special Summoning for example (S. Summon in the card text), works out really well in a game where you can get any card you want for free. That way, you can build your deck around S. summoning a particular creature without cracking open hundreds of booster packs in order to find it.

I've also added flavor text to some cards as well. I didn't see any in the mockups, but I figured I'd go ahead and add some to the cards with only minor abilities.

Like all of my work, this is conceptual. If a creature usage in a faction, or the naming of a card seems out of place, please let me know, since this might help me overall.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

EDIT: Some of the creature portraits used might not match up to their BfW counterparts. A good example would be Avatar of the Forest, who I believe was a regular elven unit.
snowdrop
developer

Re: My Public "Crazy Experiment" Dropbox

Post by snowdrop » Sun Aug 12, 2012 14:35

I think you're officially the first person, in soon to be 3 years time, to ever puzzle-up new card suggestions. Ever. :P

I've been looking at them for a while but am not sure how "S. Summon" works. Please explain and give an example also. :)

Matching up anything at all with BfW isn't our concern, even though it would be nice if there are some hints and connections every now and then, it is a bonus and we're doing what we have to to create a good game on its own, and not just a crappy tribute filled with references but lousy game play because of them ;)

Also, check out >> http://wtactics.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... ment_(ORC) for some thoughts on how pricing and other stuff should be calculated.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Sun Aug 12, 2012 17:04

Couple of things in general, but nothing card specific:

* The more I see them, the less fond I am of drop-caps. They look decent enough when cards are worded carefully, but seem to detract from any other formatting (eg highlighted keywords) that might be found in the card text. I think there was some discussion about this a while ago (that I'm too lazy to search for). If ever this is up for discussion again, I'd down-vote drop-caps.

* I did think some of the flavor text was funny (elf-bone knife anyone?), but wish there was a less intrusive way to display them (or not display them at all). I was never the type to read flavor text, so whatever clues me early on that the text is insignificant gets a +1 from me.

* Balance issues, but I think snowdrop hinted at that with the reference to calculating card costs. it might also be nice to have a spreadsheet or little script that we can use as a live "cost calculator".

* Rather than explaining here how S. Summons work, perhaps add a document to your dropbox for public consumption.

All that said, kudos for actually DOING something. I haven't seen a new card in FOREVER. I kept saying that my excuse for not creating any was that cardscape wasn't done, but you've just proven that that's irrelevant.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 18:58

aspidites wrote:* The more I see them, the less fond I am of drop-caps. They look decent enough when cards are worded carefully, but seem to detract from any other formatting (eg highlighted keywords) that might be found in the card text. I think there was some discussion about this a while ago (that I'm too lazy to search for). If ever this is up for discussion again, I'd down-vote drop-caps
The caps will stay, at least for playtesting.

The way they were used in Mudskippers mockups isn't proper, which is my bad and will becorrected like now in wiki.

Adhering to that criteria none of the type abominations as for example https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2rc8gs60oezm ... 20wild.png will arise :twisted:

I did think some of the flavor text was funny (elf-bone knife anyone?), but wish there was a less intrusive way to display them (or not display them at all). I was never the type to read flavor text, so whatever clues me early on that the text is insignificant gets a +1 from me.
We won't use it in ORC. Not because it's not cool, but more because of space restrictions vs clutter in text area, as seen in http://wtactics.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... avour_Text which is probably still valid. *skims*

Flavour text also takes away something form the imagination, as much as it could bring. For example, a character won't ever be taken serious if he/she has a goofy flavour text, like for instance gobos in MtG are always portrayed like idiots for some reason. But this isn't my real reason for not wanting it around though - I just question how often it would be read/used by a player that has already seen it once and if it jusifies slapping it on the card...
* Balance issues, but I think snowdrop hinted at that with the reference to calculating card costs. it might also be nice to have a spreadsheet or little script that we can use as a live "cost calculator".
Hrm hrm hrm... this is easily done in php :P *finger-itching* and could be useable... Anyone up for it?

[quote="aspidites"I haven't seen a new card in FOREVER. I kept saying that my excuse for not creating any was that cardscape wasn't done, but you've just proven that that's irrelevant.[/quote]

Yes, indeed it is irrelevant ;) ...and now i had to whoop up something semi-bad just for you...
event.template-page001.jpg
Mudskipper

Post by Mudskipper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 20:25

aspidites wrote:Couple of things in general, but nothing card specific:

* The more I see them, the less fond I am of drop-caps. They look decent enough when cards are worded carefully, but seem to detract from any other formatting (eg highlighted keywords) that might be found in the card text. I think there was some discussion about this a while ago (that I'm too lazy to search for). If ever this is up for discussion again, I'd down-vote drop-caps.

* I did think some of the flavor text was funny (elf-bone knife anyone?), but wish there was a less intrusive way to display them (or not display them at all). I was never the type to read flavor text, so whatever clues me early on that the text is insignificant gets a +1 from me.

* Rather than explaining here how S. Summons work, perhaps add a document to your dropbox for public consumption.

All that said, kudos for actually DOING something. I haven't seen a new card in FOREVER. I kept saying that my excuse for not creating any was that cardscape wasn't done, but you've just proven that that's irrelevant.

If you check out my pub dropbox again, you'll notice three SVG files containing one Gaia and RB card each. I made these before Snowdrop's most recent post, so I removed Drop Caps and edited the flavor text style. They can easily be modified now in inksape though, so if you guys want to include them in the game, that would be AWESOME!

I've also added a readme containing card text for not-yet made concepts and mechanics lke S. Summon. As for the balancing, some of the INSANE creatures like Lyria were nerfed, but since it's an SVG file, you might want to edit it balance-wise yourself if you're playtesting. That way the cards will work the way you want during GCCG or Lackey sessions.

I also removed dropcaps, but since Snow seems to want them, feel free to add them back. I personally wasn't a fan of them and thing the new format looks pretty good. Honestly, having worked with the templates and art now for a bit, I have to say you've done a TERRIFIC job on art and templating! :D

It would be nice if we could get some Neutral, Imperial and HoN creature/event templates up so we could work on those as well. That being said, RB still needs love, so I'll mostly focus on them for the time being.
The caps will stay, at least for playtesting.

The way they were used in Mudskippers mockups isn't proper, which is my bad and will becorrected like now in wiki.

Adhering to that criteria none of the type abominations as for example https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2rc8gs60oezm ... 20wild.png will arise :twisted:
Yeah, Call of the Wild was pretty bad type-wise. It would be great if you could upload all the most recent templates with the proper dropcap usage and coloring. My templates were outdated and I think the "cards" section of the site needs some love as well.

If you like my work I'll be more than happy to work on cards for now. I'm honestly surprised it took 3 years for someone to start working on them, especially since the GCCG module is starting to be used from what I hear.
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Thu Aug 16, 2012 17:56

Given all your rants about micromanagement, i KNOW that card's a joke, lol. Anyways, the link to the LDD was wrong:

http://wtactics.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... _%28ORC%29
Mudskipper

Post by Mudskipper » Thu Aug 16, 2012 19:01

aspidites wrote:Given all your rants about micromanagement, i KNOW that card's a joke, lol. Anyways, the link to the LDD was wrong:

http://wtactics.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... _%28ORC%29
Are you referring to snowdrop or me, lol? :?:

Either way, appreciate the LDD. Also checked out the Mindmap page. Gryphon is a HoN creature? Somehow, that doesn't seem right...
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Mon Aug 20, 2012 19:26

I had so many warm words to write here, and now it seems like all the examples are gone. :evil:
Some pieces were excellent, other simply could work, I liked all but one - the one that had it's powers equal to dump size - this would be simply overpowering.
Thumbs up!
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Mudskipper

Post by Mudskipper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 21:10

Q_x wrote:I had so many warm words to write here, and now it seems like all the examples are gone. :evil:
Some pieces were excellent, other simply could work, I liked all but one - the one that had it's powers equal to dump size - this would be simply overpowering.
Thumbs up!

The SVG files for some of the better ones are in the dropbox, but I got rid of the cards that didn't make sense.

I agree though, the orc captain was a bit much, although he'd really only be effective if you have a bunch of RB cards in your grave. A while back though, Mattiah shared a link for the card stats that are already made, so if I do end up making any others, it'll be from that list.

I'm gonna be VERY busy though, so I might just stick to Misty.