Are we dead yet?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Erundil
Are we dead yet?

Post by Erundil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:34

It's been ages since the last post/update on wtactics. I was hoping for updates from the SoC, since snowdrop thought that would be resolutive for the development.
Q_x
developer

Re: Are we dead yet?

Post by Q_x » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49

We're quite alive. We're just resting.

Matt has done some great card ideas rolling recently. I've started illustrating myself for WTactics, for example (as of latest good news), so at least on my department some progress will take place soon.

SoC was a partial disaster, but a partial success as well. No clues if Snowdrop will repeat it the next year, I'd rather let him speak for himself.

Also, the very fact the infrastructure is up is a success, as it's all wormed again and again.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
Erundil

Post by Erundil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 22:41

Uh, I saw the cards, they are quite great!

But I think that keeping the site updated is quite vital to interest new people, and even if there are recent posts in the blog, the forum is where most will look and try to get involved.
Knitter
developer

Post by Knitter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 09:31

Hope we're not dead :)

I visit the forum & site every day, been following the new cards and been working on code whenever I have the time to push a bit forward.
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Mar 09, 2014 19:07

Erundil wrote:Uh, I saw the cards, they are quite great!

But I think that keeping the site updated is quite vital to interest new people, and even if there are recent posts in the blog, the forum is where most will look and try to get involved.
We're not dead and won't ever be, no worries. Just had a pause and tech issues.

I myself have used many hours on maintaiuning our infrastructre, posting info etc about the project. While I agree it is important that it all works and is updated and info stays out there and fresh I also believe that in terms of development it doesn't matter the very least - people are not more or less interested in developing a card game or helpig out because of the external info we post.

The only thing that will ever make people more intersted in the project is when we actually have something playtestable released. At least that's my understanding from all the different experiences we've gathered during the year(s). Please don't get me wrong though: Spreading info is always good. I'm just writing this to be cleat that it won't be on my priority list at all until we have a playtestable candidate in some form. Then I will engage in marketing and also put some economy into it if needed.
Q_x
developer

Post by Q_x » Sun Mar 09, 2014 19:22

As a general remark, if something scares people away, I'm all-in for taking it down, seriously.

I have a week long block myself, accomplishing nothing both in real and virtual worlds. So you have my temporary sympathy, Snowdrop.
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Mar 09, 2014 19:43

Q_x wrote:As a general remark, if something scares people away, I'm all-in for taking it down, seriously..
Yah, I agree. I don't see us having that issue though. I just think that in general people are not really ready to work for ccg development given the efforts it may take. Sure we could have had somewhat more optimal and welcoming enviornment, but it wouldn't accomplish a rush to the project. I just think it's wrong to focus on "how can we get more people to join up" right now, and more correct to "lets work with who we are and what we have" in ordet to produce something, and then use that product to get more people interested and more resources... that's why I'm reluctant to dedicate time myself on the "non-issue" of PR right now...

I have a week long block myself, accomplishing nothing both in real and virtual worlds. So you have my temporary sympathy, Snowdrop
:P
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Wed Oct 15, 2014 20:03

snowdrop wrote: The only thing that will ever make people more intersted in the project is when we actually have something playtestable released.
What is the current status? Do we have a "main" ruleset that is heading towards finalization? The ORC wiki page doesn't say anything new.

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but time is something that we all seem to be missing.
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Wed Oct 15, 2014 20:53

The issue, as usual, is time/interest.

There was some debate recently on if snowdrop was the cause of slowdown (specifically, if he was/would prevent rule changes), but in the end it doesn't matter since everyone can make their own rules.

If I remember correctly, snowdrop said that he would start testing his set of rules soon, for a possible release for the end of the year? Don't quote me on that though.