Suggestion on how to organize the rules article(s)

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
DWitthold
Suggestion on how to organize the rules article(s)

Post by DWitthold » Fri Jul 23, 2010 16:21

I've posted a suggestion on how to organize the rules article(s) in the wiki (see "Talk" at the Quick Rules Article), and thought I might pick up snowdrops idea of moving discussions to the forum. Well, here it goes... ;)

from snowdrops reply:
I agree on the following:
  • [...]
  • having a generic game mechanic article (but I wouldn't write it myself, at least not initiate it and do the first couple of sections in it. And yeah, please take this as a blunt invite ;) )
I don't know, what you mean by "generic game mechanic article" - an article on a particular mechanic? Or an article desribing what a "real article on a game mechanic" should contain?

I think we might have different concepts in mind. I would like to have different articles for different mechanics - for example one article on "army slots" (or whatever you might want to call a layout of 4*2 units per player), one article on "economy: gold roll" etc., regardless of these mechanics being part of the same ruleset or not (though "namespaces" or whatever they are called in mediwiki might be a good idea for different development paths).

Main reason for this would be to avoid very long articles. At least to me long articles are confusing, as it's harder to see what's still relevant to the topic I'm working on. Like when I'm working on the combat system I don't need to have rules at hand on setup, victory conditions, ... Plus I think it's easier to navigate a short article, as you can go easier to the table of content and the TOC doesn't contain that much "irrelevant" (for a particular topic) information. And if several people are writing at the same time, it wouldn't lead to version conflicts that easily.
snowdrop
developer

Re: Suggestion on how to organize the rules article(s)

Post by snowdrop » Sat Jul 24, 2010 14:00

DWitthold wrote:I don't know, what you mean by "generic game mechanic article" - an article on a particular mechanic? Or an article desribing what a "real article on a game mechanic" should contain?

/../ I would like to have different articles for different mechanics - for example one article on "army slots" (or whatever you might want to call a layout of 4*2 units per player), one article on "economy: gold roll" etc., regardless of these mechanics being part of the same ruleset or not
We can do it the way you suggest. Either way is fine by me. :)

My only objection would be reserved to cases where we have an article but there's only 2-3 lines of text, and more wouldn't even be expected. In such cases we should have all "shorties" gathered in a "Misc. Mechanics" article instead of having separate ones.

Please feel free to create:

1) A general mechanics article that simply links / works as a TOC to all the other articles.

2) The other articles, to whatever extent you can - I'd assist as soon as I see them and get time, filling in info as seen from my perspective and with the dev. path I'm on.
DWitthold

Post by DWitthold » Wed Jul 28, 2010 15:58

Alright, I will write the "TOC-article" and a draft for an article on "Creature Based CCG" during the next days.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Wed Jul 28, 2010 19:15

Super. :)