Who's adding files to the Dropbox?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Mattaiyah
developer
Who's adding files to the Dropbox?

Post by Mattaiyah » Thu Mar 24, 2016 02:24

Like the title says, someone's been adding files to the Dropbox, and I'd like to know who it is.
ngoeminne

Re: Who's adding files to the Dropbox?

Post by ngoeminne » Thu Mar 24, 2016 21:24

Hello Mattaiyah

Well, that would be me... am I kicking up some dust? :-)
As I'm trying to breath some new life into the project, I've been doing some things.
Let me run through them in order.

About three weeks ago :
1. I tried to estimate the current state of the project so I traced down snowdrop and contacted him by mail.
2. I wanted to know what stalled the project for so long and what went wrong
3. I'm being careful here, but, I'd also like to know if there were any mismatch between the team member's visions and if that was a secondary reason the project failed
4. I also wanted to know if snowdrop was willing to take on the project once more, and I actually think he intends to, but I'll leave it up to him to communicate about that.

About two weeks ago:
1. I've been through all (yes all) forum posts, and read them.
2. I've been collecting/recovering all possible resources (bazar, github, files on the site)
3. I tried to install cardscape, but failed, then tried the cardscape-legacy, and got it running locally,
(even got a sql dump of the db imported, with some 80 cards)
4. I contacted snowdrop again, asking for missing resources, access to the site, wiki, dropbox, etc...
5. Then we started discussions/talks what could be done to revive the project.

We've setup a simple plan:
- focus on a small playable ruleset
- focus on two pre-constructed decks, downloadable in pdf format by the end of the year.

I also wanted to reach out to all people, old contributers, new interested people (based on the posts here on the forum), to get things going again. However, I cannot ask/wish for extra commitment of anyone without showing some myself.

So this last week I pulled in some effort and created a Card-Layout generation tool.
Based on the available templates and a json input file (deck + cards), and a small card text layout-markup language, it generates merged svg files, the corresponding 600 dpi png files, and a print-ready pdf of the entire deck. I put an example input file and an example result pdf on dropbox.

That beeing said, I compiled a list of people that might be willing to help, and I was planing to contact, either on the forum, or in person. All of the persons below have shown interest on the forum in the last year: (newly, if I'm not mistaken) kurofune, Lynxx,DarkAttic, and my call to the people already involved resulted in activity of xarn, Ravenchild and now you :-)

Kind regards,
Nico,

ps. feel free to check out the generated pdf.
xarn

Post by xarn » Fri Mar 25, 2016 17:06

There is a dropbox? Great! Where is it?
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 05:55

I'm mostly just surprised you managed to get access to the Dropbox. And that you might have managed to come into contact with snowdrop.

Anyways, I can assure you you don't have access to all the files. I keep most of the stuff I've worked on on a Google Drive folder where you can only access specific files. I'd also recommend moving the Dropbox files from one account to another, since we don't have (easy) access to the email account attached to it.

I won't be handing over the user/pass for the Dropbox until we know what we're planning to do with it.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:58

Hey Mattaiyah,

It doesn't surprise me that there are more resources to be found elsewhere. It's like they exploded and they are scattered around the universe :-)

The same goes for the team, I guess, everyone has been working a bit fragmented.

In my opinion, all resources, should be freely accessible to anyone, at least in read-only mode.
This is an open source project after all. (I don't mean private in progress work).

As I'm still doing a post-mortem on the project, it could really be useful to get your opinions on the pitfalls of the past, and the lessons learned. I would like to forge the team back together, and I started with the founder.

As far as I know some other key people have been away for quite some time, Q_x, Knitter, and others just gave up such as aespides (I've read his blog and his disappointments), ...

Getting everyone aligned again will take some effort. As I'm the new kid on the block, I don't drag along any history and I'm able to listen to everyone unbiased. Anyone who wants to share his personal opinions can drop me a line at nicogoeminne at gmail.

Kind regards,
Nico
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Mar 27, 2016 13:34

Mat; As nico states, he got access to the dropbox from me.

As for the rest, I appreciate that he's contributing and his efforts to take lead and get things going.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sat Apr 02, 2016 18:58

Hey Mattaiyah,

Mattaiyah wrote: Anyways, I can assure you you don't have access to all the files. I keep most of the stuff I've worked on on a Google Drive folder where you can only access specific files. I'd also recommend moving the Dropbox files from one account to another, since we don't have (easy) access to the email account attached to it.
Are you willing to share the stuff/resources you've been working on?

Kind regards,
Nico
Mattaiyah
developer

Post by Mattaiyah » Sun Apr 03, 2016 02:53

I don't think there's much of value in there. A couple of the card templates (which aren't easily usable), and the modified font that contains WT symbols.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 09:55

Hey Mat,
Mattaiyah wrote:I don't think there's much of value in there. A couple of the card templates (which aren't easily usable), and the modified font that contains WT symbols.
Sconce you were working on the recoloring for the house of nobels, I do think they have value.
In the other thread I saw some examples and they are nice. Do you have them both for creature and event's?

Don't worry about the usability, for the demo card generation/card db, I had to fix al lot of internal svg stuff anyway. I'd prefer to have just a working copy/draft version, it's better than nothing.

In the past, I think to much nit picking had been done, before throwing the stuff out there :-)
So yes, I'd like to see your work. It's really appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nico