New user's questions: What is the canonica version of cards?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
TappedOut
New user's questions: What is the canonica version of cards?

Post by TappedOut » Tue Jun 14, 2016 21:33

I wasn't sure where to post this.

What is the canonical version of the cards?

Is the versions of cards listed on 'wtactics.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com' the canonical versions of cards or are the final cards intended to be done with a page layout program (scribus, etc)?

Is the interest in having cards rendered for (some) existing print-on-demand systems? TheGameCrafter, DriveThru, ArtCow, etc?
ngoeminne

Re: New user's questions: What is the canonica version of ca

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Jun 15, 2016 15:43

Hey Tappedout,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by canonical version.
There were some scribus templates long ago, but that was way before my time, and they seem to be lost. In any case, we don't have the resources, nor the knowledge, nor the time available to manually layout each card in scribus.

The cards are now semi-automated generations. It uses a set of inkscape-templates, and the database information. The card text layout itself is controlled by a simple xml syntax, that supports paragraphs, line breaks, bold, italic, bold/italic, captial and a series of custom fonts-symbols like the 'mark me', the resource costs (1) (2), the variable resource cost (x).

The resulting inkscape svg is then made available, as well as a CMYK-pdf version with a 2mm cut border. There is a png file as well, and a jpg (lower resolution) file that can be used in intap-in.
If you look at the decks section http://wtactics.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/#/decks, you'll find the 'Gaian love for life' and the 'Uneasy Alliance' decks, they come in a pdf file (zipped), where each page is a card. In theory you should be able to take this pdf and print them with whatever print service you like.

We haven't done a professional print yet, and you should be warned that the pdf's might not print well (We know we lack the skills and knowledge to produce professional grade typeset-ted cards).

In the end it comes down to the amount of time and resources. We prefer to focus on the rules, the cards (semantics & rules) and to the mechanics of the game. We still try to keep the look and feel and the artwork as good as possible. The current level/standard will suffice (for now), since with Santi's excellent artwork we can get away with almost everything :-)

That being said, feel free to give advice, and/or try some DIY prints or take them to your local/online print service.

Kind regards,
Nico
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut » Wed Jun 15, 2016 19:11

ngoeminne wrote:Hey Tappedout,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by canonical version.
There were some scribus templates long ago, but that was way before my time, and they seem to be lost. In any case, we don't have the resources, nor the knowledge, nor the time available to manually layout each card in scribus.
I've passively watched the project for a while now, hence my confusion. My preference would be to run the cards through a server, like it appears you are doing.
ngoeminne wrote:The cards are now semi-automated generations. It uses a set of inkscape-templates, and the database information.
The cards are generated on the server by running the template though a script with the database information, right?

It should be possible to create a new template (for say TGC) and have the cards run through that on the transformation program/server, correct?
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Jun 15, 2016 21:11

Hey TappedOut,

The cards are indeed generated, the software to do this is on github. The templates are in inkscape, and the xml has some predefined ids. The code takes them into account and generates the rest of the svg. It has some simple layouting for the card text itself.

In theory you could add templates and generate different cards. Note however that the software and templates are made with WTactics in mind only.

What do you want to do? (Just out of curiosity)
What's TGC (is it an other trading card game?)

Kind Regards,
Nico
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Jun 16, 2016 15:33

TappedOut wrote:Is the versions of cards listed on 'wtactics.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com' the canonical versions of cards or are the final cards intended to be done with a page layout program (scribus, etc)?

Is the interest in having cards rendered for (some) existing print-on-demand systems? TheGameCrafter, DriveThru, ArtCow, etc?
The final cards will be hand crafted in proper software when it comes to creating a for print version of the game. You mention Scribus, that would be one example of a capable solution. Such a version will exist eventually.

While developing though there is no reason to put down that work into them right now, hence ng created the script that actually does a really good job of creating cards on the fly from the database: That end result is more than sufficient for playtesting.

If thew community wants to have "pre-rendered modules" of cards adapted to certain services it's ok for the community do create them and maintain them. Else the main output format of the handcrafted will be PDF and/or PNG, alongside the original work files in which they are assembled.
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Fri Jun 17, 2016 19:03

Hello,

Although we'd all like the best and most professional looking cards, I'm rather skeptical that with the current people/resources involved we'll ever be able to do a manual layouting in scribus, or any other desktop publishing software for that matter.

In my opinion, we've already said to many times: 'in the final there will be xyz', while we are barely able to playtest our rule sets, let alone create cards.

So far the only playable game that has been produced is the ARC and the cards for it were done by me, and I'll keep on pushing it forward. Hence, I do invite anyone to playtest, contribute, create and/or discuss cards. However I do like to keep a realistic view on what we can accomplish in a reasonable time set. Wishful thinking and dreaming of a grand perfect game will not get us there, only hard, practical and focused work will.

Well time might prove me wrong, and maybe someone is out there with heaps of time to that someone might do all the manual layouting and all the stuff needed...

Lets do a simple test, I invite/challenge anyone to create an additional deck for the Empire,
15 cards, 3 cities, text based is sufficient, but with all the properties name, cost, card text, card type by lets say 1st of july.

It's a fun assignment and we'll take it in our playtest game scheduled in juli.

Kind regards,
Nico