Rules text style?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Desttinghim
Rules text style?

Post by Desttinghim » Wed May 09, 2018 22:20

We have a style guide for the art on the cards, but we don't have one for the cards themselves. I'm talking mostly about the text. I have a number of questions (and probably more in the future) that need to have answers so we can have consistent formatting for our cards.
  1. Do we end every sentence or partial sentence with a period?
  2. Should keyword abilities come before or after the more specific card rules?
  3. Do keyword abilities need to be bolded, italicized, or both?
  4. Should subtypes be capitalized?
  5. Should subtypes be bolded, italicized, or both?
  6. When should keyword's be defined?
  7. Should keyword definitions on cards be bolded, italicized, or both?
  8. Should numbers use numerals or be spelled out?
  9. Should drop caps be used?
This list is what I came up with while looking through the Brothers in Arms deck, but I'm sure more will come up with time.

EDIT: I realize that this is a tall order, and I am already opinionated on the subject, so I should probably list my answers :P
  1. Every sentence should be neded with a period. Fragments, (such as keywords without definitions) should not.
  2. Before.
  3. Bolded and italicized
  4. No.
  5. I don't know. Let's go with the pattern I see - bolded and italicized.
  6. Any time there is enough space to define them.
  7. Italicized
  8. Use numerals - its easier to pick out
  9. They are unique and definitely make the cards definitely part of WTactics, but in my opinion it doesn't look particularily good and uses up more space then necessary. So I'm split between yes and no.
ngoeminne

Re: Rules text style?

Post by ngoeminne » Thu May 10, 2018 09:34

Hi Louis,

Yes, we should have this, but we'll not overdo it on the 'rules' for the 'card text rules' LOL.
I'll create a wiki page for creating cards with the card database.
https://arcmage.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... ards_Guide

We should look at the "Love for Life" and the "Uneasy Alliance" decks as they were reviewed a couple of times and should be more or less consistent.

Here's my list of answers

1. Every sentence should be ended with a period. Fragments, (such as keywords without definitions) should not. (Agreed)
2. Before. (agreed)
3. Bolded and italicized (agreed)
4. No. (But with a capital first letter, agreed)
5. I don't know. Let's go with the pattern I see - bolded and italicized. (this is done by the template, so bold italic, keep as is)
6. Any time there is enough space to define them. (No/yes, when there's only one and there is space, it should be allowed upon the card's creator discretion)
7. Bold Italicized (Not agreed, it stands out more)
8. Use numerals - its easier to pick out (agreed)
9. I do like the drop caps and they make the cards stand out as arcmage/wtactic cards. However I'd use them with care and follow these guidelines.
- Only use when its on the first line (so not in combo with keywords)
- Only use when there are at least two lines.

That's already quite an extensive list, but there's more.
10. Should we always use a subtype? => yes
11. Should we emphasize the targets words e.g. I, city, army? => yes
12. Quotes and italic for flavor ? => yes
13. Two line card names for Creatures/Cities? => yes, when the card name starts overlapping to much with the artwork.

I think we can agree on most parts. When there's a discussion on how to proceed on something, I think the card's creature should have the last say.

However, I'd like to avoid putting a card in final/release candidate state if there's a lot of discussion or if it would break the whole game (like a very very very overpowered card).

Louis would you mind putting this on our wiki?
Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Thu May 10, 2018 13:17

I will get this put on to the wiki in a little bit.

EDIT: On number 7, I think italicized is the way to go. It is reminder text, there if wanted/needed, but should be unobstrusive otherwise. Bolding and italicizing the entire definition will make it overpowering to the other card text.

Also, when I was talking subtypes, I was referring to instances inside of rules text (e.g. mark target soldier). Should that have the first letter capitalized?
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Fri May 11, 2018 09:48

Hi Louis
Desttinghim wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 13:17
EDIT: On number 7, I think italicized is the way to go. It is reminder text, there if wanted/needed, but should be unobstrusive otherwise. Bolding and italicizing the entire definition will make it overpowering to the other card text.
Oops, I totally agree, I mistook it for the keyword themselves not the definition!
Desttinghim wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 13:17
Also, when I was talking subtypes, I was referring to instances inside of rules text (e.g. mark target soldier). Should that have the first letter capitalized?
Don't know that one.

Kind regards,
Nico