Would you like a new city template?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
ngoeminne
Would you like a new city template?

Post by ngoeminne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 16:29

Hey folks,

Should we have a city template that stands out a bit more?

Our events and magic spells have their name on top, our creature cards have them in the middle.
I saw an example region card made by snowdrop that has the name on the bottom. Should we do that for cities as well?

That will make them stand out a bit more. what are your thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nico
davidmfinol

Re: Would you like a new city template?

Post by davidmfinol » Wed Jul 18, 2018 09:06

I like the idea of having a different template for cities, and having the name at the bottom seems like a good idea.
However, I'm wondering if it would it be better to go further and have cities displayed as landscapes instead of portraits?
It just makes intuitive sense to have creatures displayed in portrait and cities displayed in landscape, and I feel like the landscape orientation would really help the cities stand out more.

I actually do see a landscape version of cities at https://arcmage.org/rules/, though that template doesn't look quite right. It looks too much like a flattened version of the template used for creatures. Was there an attempt to make the cities landscape that was given up on due to it not looking right?
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36

Hey David,

I originally thought of the cities to be in landscape, but haven't made a template, what you see in the rules is just a stretched version of the creature card.

Although I like the idea, there are some cons.
1. In landscape it is hard to find a spot for the text. If we divide along the y axis, you get a very stretched out artwork space (like 30mm on 90mm). If you divide along the X axis, you get two more or less square parts, that could work, but then you lose more or less the purpose of landscape.

2. To allow flexibility in choice for the city artwork, it is easier to have a uniform artwork resource pool.Else we'd have to redo our artwork for our current cities as well.

3. A non issue, but still, we'd have to redo the cities templates from scratch. The simpler approach is to have them in portrait and start from the event templates, and lower the name.

Of course if you can overcome the text layout issue, then we could go for the landscape. Are you willing to give it a try?

Kind regards,
Nico
davidmfinol

Post by davidmfinol » Sun Jul 22, 2018 06:23

I'm not a graphic designer, but I do have some ideas about how I think it could work.
I'd like to try my hand at it, though I have other projects I'm currently working on that I need to finish, so it may be a while before I have the time to learn how to make such a template and create my attempt.