Full List of Card Types

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
pennomi
developer
Full List of Card Types

Post by pennomi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 20:27

I wanted to discuss the card types a little bit. Currently, this is what I understand we have:
  • Creatures - Placed on RPs and then deployed to a front at the end of turn (deploy phase)
    Artifacts - Not sure how these are placed out. Deployed to a front, I'm assuming.
    Equipment - Also unsure how these are played. They are attached to a creature card.
    Magic
    • Rituals - Placed on RPs and then "charged" until they are played.
      Enchantments - Not sure how they are played. These are attached to a creature card.
    Events - Cast effects instantaneously. Placed on an open RP at any time, then resolved immediately.
    Quests - Still a concept, but basically are "charged" like rituals through other types of events.
I assume that the Artifacts, Equipment and Enchantments are placed on RPs initially. Hopefully someone can shed a little light on how these all work.

I had a couple of ideas of a better way that card types could be organized. Keep in mind these are just suggestions and I in no way dislike the current card types. I suggest they be organized like this:
  • Creature - The standard unit and can attack and block. Placed on RP during "Recruit" step. Deployed to a front during "Deploy" step (after battle).

Event - Represents the current battle conditions. Placed on RP during "Recruit" step. Deployed to a front during "Deploy" step. Remains in the front until a new Event is played in that front. (This could be cards that show that the battle happens at night, or in a forest, or that a storm comes through, etc.)

Spell - Casts special effects immediately. Placed on RP at any time. Resolved immediately, but remains on the RP (to show the RP is exhausted) until "Cleanup" step. May have lingering effects, (Enchantment) in which case it is attached to the enchanted card.

Equipment - Gives enhancements to creature. Placed on RP during "Recruit" step. Attached to a creature during the "Deploy" step.

Artifact - Gives a bonus to a front. Placed on RP during "Recruit" step. Deployed to a front during "Deploy" step.

Quest - Gives a bonus after certain conditions have been met. Placed on RP during "Recruit" step. Remains there until it is resolved or the player decides to discard it (unresolved, so no effect) during "Cleanup" step.
One reason I like this better is because the idea of Events being natural effects that alter the battle over a possible several turns while Spells are magical/tactical things done by creatures to alter the battle. I did not add in Rituals, as you can see, since they really are just a subtype of Quests - just in the case of Rituals, the condition is specific. The only reason we need a new card type is when the card goes into play in a fundamentally different way than a current card type. I might even say it would be good to merge Equipment and Artifact together and just let the card specify what it is attached to (a creature, a front, the whole kingdom, a player, etc.)

I know that perhaps this is a pretty big divergence from where we are currently at, but it was on my mind. Let me know what you all think.