Magic vs Technology

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
Q_x
developer
Magic vs Technology

Post by Q_x » Fri Nov 19, 2010 20:52

How heavily our game will be twisted around magic vs technology as antagonizing powers? Will there be such thing like "magic resistance"? Events that break magic powers, magic that turns big machines into piles of rust and confusing operators to provoke accidents? Will we have our factions more or less biased into any of the sides of conflict?
Or maybe thewre should be different conflicts? Power vs quantity, nature vs civilization, life vs death, (there aresome old philosophical systems with 5 elements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_eleme ... hilosophy) btw: - this would be neat subject to dig into)

What are your thoughts about this? any ideas? opinions? decisions maybe?
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Re: Magic vs Technology

Post by snowdrop » Sat Dec 04, 2010 08:52

Q_x wrote:How heavily our game will be twisted around magic vs technology as antagonizing powers? Will there be such thing like "magic resistance"? /../ Will we have our factions more or less biased into any of the sides of conflict? Or maybe thewre should be different conflicts? /../
What are your thoughts about this?
There aren't, and shouldn't be I think, any kind of apparent dualism in the game. Each faction would not be evolving around magic usage or techno usage, while some factions will indeed be more focused on magic (spells etc) OR tech (meaning equipment of some kind and/or artifacts) while yet other could be more focused on Events. All would have their own niche, but at the same time this doesn't mean that certain cardtypes (e.g. Events) are locked down to certain factions - all will have access to all, to some degree. Each faction is more or less geared towards a) different card types, and also b) different assyemtrical effects/abilities that summed up would constitute the factions identity.

I don't know how much all of this has to do with flavour, but conflict according to bg story will exist because of very different interests (gaia preserves nature, banner fights against oppression of the lower classes, house of nobles is classical aristocracy mercenary army, empire want to turn back time and conquer all lands to create one great nation ran by dictator, and undead is...something) How that is translated into mechanics & abilities is yet a mystery though :P That's where the mindmap of the factions come into the picture.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sat Dec 04, 2010 09:00

The mind map of the factions (at least the one in the wiki) isn't up to date. I could update it or you could or someone else. If I should do it, just tell me.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:55

TorbenBeta wrote:The mind map of the factions (at least the one in the wiki) isn't up to date. I could update it or you could or someone else. If I should do it, just tell me.
It's nowhere near finished, but what's lacking? I don't think we've made any progress at all on what should be included in it.
irrevenant

Post by irrevenant » Sat Dec 04, 2010 23:04

snowdrop wrote:There aren't, and shouldn't be I think, any kind of apparent dualism in the game.
I second this. It tends to lead to crude and simplistic strategy and gameplay.

A certain other cardgame has 'black' cards and 'white' cards that are thematically opposed (destruction and corruption vs healing and regrowth) but doesn't go in for directly opposed ("Nuke white card") cards. This seems to make for more sophisticated play.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 22:13

snowdrop wrote:
TorbenBeta wrote:The mind map of the factions (at least the one in the wiki) isn't up to date. I could update it or you could or someone else. If I should do it, just tell me.
It's nowhere near finished, but what's lacking? I don't think we've made any progress at all on what should be included in it.
We have no progress, but there are some typos and other minor things like there is still an instance of the word "loyalist".
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00

TorbenBeta wrote:We have no progress, but there are some typos and other minor things like there is still an instance of the word "loyalist".
Fil is in trunk, /misc/mindmaps/WTFactions
Feel free to correct and email it to me for upload.