[playtest] Merman Hoplite

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
pennomi
developer
[playtest] Merman Hoplite

Post by pennomi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 19:01

Approved for playtesting on IRC 23 Nov 2010.
snowdrop
developer

Re: [playtest] Merman Hoplite

Post by snowdrop » Wed Nov 24, 2010 05:21

Minor stuff:

Code: Select all

...against multiple attackers. 
It can't defend against "creatures" in general really, not until there is an attack, in which case it would be the only situation where it could defend at all.

I think we should replace all instances of "attacking creature" with "attacker", "defending creature" with "defender" and so on, and simply put that into the ORC: Nothing except a creature would ever be an attacker or defender. Example, if I as a player would use an artifact to hurt the other player I am not an attacker since I'm not a creature, nor is the artifact one. In that case the artifact doesn't attack. It "deals damage" or whatever. Meaning, combat can only happen if there's at least one creature involved.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 18:57

Merman Hoplite has an ability which is impossible, if I understood it correctly.
Attacks are handled one after another so there won't be multiple attacks in one turn.
Suggestion: Change it to: "Merman Hoplite may defend multiple times per turn or round.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Dec 05, 2010 19:08

• There can be an unlimited amount of attacks, each turn, launched by the active player.
  • It's correct that each attack is resolved one at a time.
  • As it is now the Hoplite can defend several times per turn. However, so can any other creature, since defence doesn't mark a creature (nor should it).
  • You're right that the ability is broken, but the fix is not what you suggested (see above point).
Suggested fix, a new ability replacing the old:

After a combat where  the Merfolk Hoplite is defending has been resolved all combat damage dealt to the Merfolk Hoplite is set to zero if the Hoplite survived the combat. 
Think it's inline with it's original intent & also keeps hoplite defense flavour.

Notice: It may be necessary to know that all damage that is dealt to a creature remains on it until end of a turn, thus making the above ability a really exciting and defensive one since it trnaslates into the Hoplite being able to block several more times than any other comparable unit without that ability (those other units would die in combat eventually, Hoplite won't unless he blocks something bigger than him or gets surprised by Events etc)

Edit: I think this ability should be keyworded as I believe it will appear on more creatures in Gaia eventually. All keyworded abilities must be generic and not mention the creatures name etc. So...

After a combat where  this creature is defending has been resolved all combat damage dealt to this creature is set to zero, if the creature survived the combat. 
pennomi
developer

Re: [revise] Merman Hoplite

Post by pennomi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 21:13

snowdrop wrote:
  • There can be an unlimited amount of attacks, each turn, launched by the active player.
  • It's correct that each attack is resolved one at a time.
  • As it is now the Hoplite can defend several times per turn. However, so can any other creature, since defence doesn't mark a creature (nor should it).
  • You're right that the ability is broken, but the fix is not what you suggested (see above point).

After a combat where  this creature is defending has been resolved all combat damage dealt to this creature is set to zero, if the creature survived the combat. 
Oh, I was under the impression that all attacks were declared simultaneously, and that the defenders were afterwards assigned. Then, all of the combat resolves simultaneously. If that were the case, then it would be possible to assign the Hoplite to multiple attackers, while other creatures could block a maximum of one.

Instead, if I am correct, the player declares an attacker, then it is blocked and the combat resolves. Then, another attacker is declared, which combat is then resolved. This repeats until the player decides to end the combat phase. (This also allows for a creature to attack, then become untapped by the Elvish Captain, and attack again. Is this what's intended?) If I am mistaken, please correct me.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Dec 05, 2010 21:39

pennomi wrote: Oh, I was under the impression that all attacks were declared simultaneously, and that the defenders were afterwards assigned. Then, all of the combat resolves simultaneously...
a) All attackers are declared "simultaneously", in both fronts.

b) All defenders are then declared, and also who they defend, if any. In both fronts.

c) The combats don't resolve at the same time. Instead, they resolve in a given order, combat by combat, decided by the attacking player(?), and first in one front and then when all combat has ended in it, in the next one.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 21:54

snowdrop wrote: a) All attackers are declared "simultaneously", in both fronts.

b) All defenders are then declared, and also who they defend, if any. In both fronts.

c) The combats don't resolve at the same time. Instead, they resolve in a given order, combat by combat, decided by the attacking player(?), and first in one front and then when all combat has ended in it, in the next one.
So if all defenders are declared simultaneously, not when each individual combat is resolved, each defender will be able to only defend vs. one creature per attack phase. The Hoplite is the exception, so the text should be something like this:

When a combat resolves in which this unit is defending, if this unit survives the combat, it may defend against another unit.
This matches the original intent of the card.