knitter: Hi everyone

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Knitter
developer
knitter: Hi everyone

Post by Knitter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 16:11

Already said it but hi, again

My name's Sérgio Lopes, mostly known as Knitter or slopes if you visit IRC, I'm a 28 year old Portuguese freelance programmer, entrepreneur and teacher, which basically stands for "no steady income", living in Leiria, Portugal.

I'll be working on translating WTactics to Portuguese and spreading the word around using my native language.

I've already translated or helped translate some free software projects, GetSimple, FreeCol, ProjectPier, ntfg-3g are some, currently trying desperately to catch the same translation status as other languages in Battle for Wesnoth project.

I have a Bachelor degree in Computer Science, what we here call a Licenciatura de Bolonha em Engenharia Informática, and have a small passion for the Java platform and related technologies. Currently I do most of my work in PHP since I mostly develop web based applications (not websites) but have experience in several other programming languages.

I love fantasy books, anime (really addicted in anime :) ) and listing to good Portuguese music and I can honestly say that I have never played a card game like WTactics... I've actually never played a card game or any other tabletop game for that matter... maybe one if monopoly counts. I had a friend once trying to teach me Magic the Gathering but I never learned, he was a good teacher, I was not the perfect student and I was more interested in RPG like Icewind Dale, Fallout, etc.

Now I play only WoW, you can find me in The Venture CO server, European version.

So, that's about everything I had to say for today, I hope I can be of help to the project and let's see if I can start playing my first CCG with WT :D

Regards,

Knitter
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
Q_x
developer

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Q_x » Mon Jan 17, 2011 18:32

Hi Knitter also here :)
Greetings from Poland.
I hope you'll like this place.

Cheers,
Luke
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Tue Jan 18, 2011 15:18

Torben says: "Hello from Germany."
I can't speak Portuguese, but Spanisch, German, English and Esperanto.
I'm also responsible for the German Translation (with DaBascht) and I think for the lackey ccg patch.
If you have a question concerning translations, ask me.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 18:47

Welcome to the team! We're excited to have you here to bring WTactics to millions more people than we can ourselves!
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 19:28

Knitter wrote:I've already translated or helped translate /../ FreeCol,/../ Battle for Wesnoth project.
Damn. Great projects, those ones. Cool that you bring experience and know-how - we need all we can get and try to learn, slow but steady.

I was around BfW for quite a while, founded it's ladder. Love that game and have put plenty of hours into its community.
I love fantasy books, anime (really addicted in anime :) )

One of my faves = Katherine Kerr(?) - Silver dagger(?) or Daggerspell...don't remember title, but really good stuff, at least when I read it.

Anime, I have a hard time finding good "mature" stuff with deep story and that's more drama than the usual action paced ones. If you could recommend some anime that has more of dialogue and a good universe.

Last one I watched was Appleseed 2: Ex Machine. Liked the nice visuals, but too heavy on action for my taste.
I have never played a card game like WTactics...
Don't. It's bad for your wallet ;) Nah, but for real - we'll have you hooked and addicted once we have something playable enough ;) It's one of the most creative and modular genres around.
I've actually never played a card game or any other tabletop game for that matter... maybe one if monopoly counts. I

I guess Monopoly counts. While it's a good family game (as is almost any thats braindead and dependent mostly on luck and false choices) it isn't a good game if one really wants to enjoy playing something and develop skills in it.

I'd strongly recommend picking up "Carcassonne" for a light family yet somewhat strategic game, or "Small World" for the middle segment and if you enjoy BfW.
I was more interested in RPG like Icewind Dale, Fallout, etc.
Played when new. Loved. :) Btw, Q_x in here is from PARPG....
Now I play only WoW, you can find me in The Venture CO server, European version.
Don't play, but tried on an "alternative" server. I enjoyed Neverwinter Nigths (1) more, as it allowed more of RPG, using D&D ruleset and actual DM's and creating worlds etc.... but it would of course all be about the goal with the session and ones needs. WoW has Blizzard backing it, which makes it an instahit almost due to strong branding and synergy.

Btw, there is a WoW CCG that you can play for free using LackeyCCG (illegally of course ; ) If you want to learn a CCG it might be a good intro for you, but really not a necessity to be around here. I myself have mainly played MtG almost exclusively.
Knitter
developer

Post by Knitter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 16:05

snowdrop wrote: One of my faves = Katherine Kerr(?) - Silver dagger(?) or Daggerspell...don't remember title, but really good stuff, at least when I read it.
All of Raymond E. Feist books. Currently one of my favorite foreign authors.
snowdrop wrote: Anime, I have a hard time finding good "mature" stuff with deep story and that's more drama than the usual action paced ones. If you could recommend some anime that has more of dialogue and a good universe.
I've seen so much... and I love them all, even the stupid ones :) I'll look through my list and post back some that may be interesting, or at least have more than just action.
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
xarn

Post by xarn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 22:37

Anime, I have a hard time finding good "mature" stuff with deep story and that's more drama than the usual action paced ones.
I couldn't resist the urge to reply. I'm also a big fan although I'm facing the same difficulties ...too much childish stuff.

Anyway, here is a list of some I like:
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind (one of the first ones ever, when I was born!)
- 12 kingdoms (first 26 episodes only)
- Great Teacher Onizuka
- The Gokusen (same kind)
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor (I really enjoyed this one ...very goofy though)
- Avatar - the last airbender (Ok, it's childish, but I liked it ...or it's just good ol' memories)
- Code gease 1 & 2
- Seirei no Moribito
- Planetes
- Monster (the style is very good but it gets slower and slower ...it really would be so much better if they compressed it in less episodes)
- Rideback

You should give it a try. I think they are pretty nice for adults. ...but as usual it's a lot a question of taste. ;)