Ravenchild

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Ravenchild
developer
Ravenchild

Post by Ravenchild » Sat Sep 04, 2010 21:36

As this is a rather small community, I shall introduce myself as well.

The wonderful thing about the word wide web is, that everything is connected. I found this project by accident while surfing on http://www.opengameart.org/ and, as an old MTG player I am really excited of this project. I really like OpenSource and I want to get back those days, when I was actively playing MTG :lol: (without having to worry about the costs of course).

I don't know how much time I could spare for this project as my studies really eat a lot of time but we will see. I'd be interested in writing the program for playing online and in designing the game itself. But I'm totally lacking graphical skills :mrgreen:
snowdrop
developer

Re: Ravenchild

Post by snowdrop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 09:11

Wilkommen...

May I ask how you came to be on opengameart? Are you thinking about firing up a project or are you already working on one? WT's presence on opengameart is a very conscious one, mostly because I'm an advocate of open source and also think that the opengameart-site is a very nice initiative that I'd love to support.
. I'd be interested in writing the program for playing online
online ad no ai
Online play without rules implementation can be accomplished with existing software such as LackeyCCG, OCTGN2 and gCCG. These are however all virtual tables and you play the game just as you would on a real table. For more info about them, please read this section in the general design document. If that was what you had in mind, it would be best not to re-invent the wheel and instead you could become the maintainer of patches for one or more of those programs - by releasing simple patches, mostly easily aditable text-files, WTactics would be perfectly playable using those virtual tables. However, a maintainer is needed for that work, and the post is yours if you'd be interested.

offline and AI
Single player vs AI may perhaps be covered by the Wagic-project, as some members in that camp has shown interest in making WTactics playable vs an AI using Wagic. Wagic is an open source rules-enforcing single-player vs AI engine. If you want an online version that also uses AI, I think the best bet would be to either just fork Wagic or even better - co-work with them to add network support.

Or, if you are good at what you do, you could of course still give it a shot yourself.

webbased
If you want any kind of totally webbased solution, i.e. creating a patch for Facebook or something similar, or a AJAX driven site or whatever, that's very welcome as well as there is nothing in the making on that front right now.

Please outline your thoughts on the subject, perhaps in a new thread here in the forum, and we can discuss what you want to do, what you envision, and how to get there.
and in designing the game itself. But I'm totally lacking graphical skills
I welcome any and all help on designing the rules path I work on, called "original concept rules". If you have something entirely different in mind, you are also very welcome to start your own rules branch instead. Either way, you are very welcome at becoming involved in the dev of the rules of the game, creating cards and everything else.

Graphical skills won't be needed: We have hired artist(s) working on this. That said, the dream is to get a couple of artists that actually want to work with us on this for free.

What's important is that we properly use the skills you have and that you pick tasks that you think are meaningful and fun, especially given the fact that WT is a long-term project/hobby and it will all take time to complete the core set.
I don't know how much time I could spare for this project as my studies really eat a lot of time but we will see
Time is not an issue, I fully understand your situation and am in a similar one myself, as are most people that have a life ;) Nobody expects you to work full time on this or every day, and there are no "quotas" that have to be filled. The important thing is that people prioritize their offline life and that they stick around the project in the long run, working on it whenever they feel comfortable doing so and get the chance. I myself have only 30 to 60 min a day, in average, to spend on this on normal working days. On weekends I have, in best cases, 1 full day. During summer and other holidays I usually have plenty of time.

What I'm aiming at here is that we all work when we can. The only thing to keep in mind is that all that actually say they will do something also does it sooner or later - that things actually do get done, even if it takes time. It's also nice to keep in touch every now and then, to read short progress reports etc and to know that a person hasn't wandered off and is still working on his/her tasks. :)

WT will be finished when it's finished. The project will soon have it's first birthday, and we have come this far in a year by me working on it alone, more or less. Continuity and stable secure progress is the guiding motto, not speed and a crap end product ;)

Btw: If you speak and write German fluidly maybe you would also be tempted to be the team leader for the german translation of the game cards (also rules later on) and the german version of the website?
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12

snowdrop wrote: May I ask how you came to be on opengameart? Are you thinking about firing up a project or are you already working on one?
There was a topic in the ArchLinux forums about game programming with Linux and opengameart was linked somewhere.
I have no experience in writing computer games but I'm reading on the topice whatever comes along because it's interesting.
online ad no ai
Online play without rules implementation can be accomplished with existing software such as LackeyCCG, OCTGN2 and gCCG. These are however all virtual tables and you play the game just as you would on a real table. For more info about them, please read this section in the general design document. If that was what you had in mind, it would be best not to re-invent the wheel and instead you could become the maintainer of patches for one or more of those programs - by releasing simple patches, mostly easily aditable text-files, WTactics would be perfectly playable using those virtual tables.
Indeed. That was what I had in mind. I didn't know that such projects already exist. I probably should have read the design document twice.
offline and AI
Single player vs AI may perhaps be covered by the Wagic-project, as some members in that camp has shown interest in making WTactics playable vs an AI using Wagic. Wagic is an open source rules-enforcing single-player vs AI engine. If you want an online version that also uses AI, I think the best bet would be to either just fork Wagic or even better - co-work with them to add network support.
Okay, I'll have a look into the engine.
webbased
If you want any kind of totally webbased solution, [...] or a AJAX driven site or whatever, that's very welcome as well as there is nothing in the making on that front right now.
Of course. That would be really cool. But first we need to have a stable ruleset so that all the requirements are known.
Please outline your thoughts on the subject, perhaps in a new thread here in the forum, and we can discuss what you want to do, what you envision, and how to get there.
I haven't made any decisions regarding programming languages and toolkits yet. It all depends on how the game works. This also includes AI-considerations. Depending on the complexity of the game, it may even be impossible to write a good AI.
I don't know what these virtual table programs are capable of yet. But one cool feature would be ranking system.
Btw: If you speak and write German fluidly maybe you would also be tempted to be the team leader for the german translation of the game cards (also rules later on) and the german version of the website?
Yes, I could do that.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 16:40

Ravenchild wrote: Indeed. That was what I had in mind. I didn't know that such projects already exist.
Luckily for all, they do. :) I tried to outline some of their pros and cons in the general design document (GDD). For linux, the only native alternative I know of is gCCG. It's also the most complete and complex one, that allows a lot of cool stuff the others don't. (And yes, it's also in dev, but dev is slow I think)

Okay, I'll have a look into the [Wagic] engine.
Tell me if you ever need a direct line to their coders, I am in private mail-convo with one of them and could help you out should you want to work on that engine in any way.
webbased
If you want any kind of totally webbased solution, [...] or a AJAX driven site or whatever, that's very welcome as well as there is nothing in the making on that front right now.
Of course. That would be really cool. But first we need to have a stable ruleset so that all the requirements are known.
Yeah, unless of course, one would actually implement the OCTGN2 / LackyeCCG functionality "only" and create a virtual table, usable directly in the browser. That would actually kick ass as well, and is also not anywhere to be seen. (Nearest thing that comes to mind is a boardgame equiavlent developed in MS silverlight(?)...)
I haven't made any decisions regarding programming languages and toolkits yet. It all depends on how the game works. This also includes AI-considerations. Depending on the complexity of the game, it may even be impossible to write a good AI.
May I ask how old you are, how long you've been programming and projects you've worked on, and, the bingo question: What programming languages do you feel somewhat confident with? Notice, I don't care if you're not a coding wizard in them, just want to know what languages you feel you are "medium" or "beyond" in, skillwise.
don't know what these virtual table programs are capable of yet. But one cool feature would be ranking system.
They are all (except for gCCG that is in it's own league really) pretty decentralized and don't support rankings nor player-finds-player-features. Btw, OCTGN2 is written in C# and is Win only I think (although I got it running in VBox..) while LackeyCCG is closed source and written in Java(?) and has the ugliest GUI known to man ;).
Yes, I could do that.[/quote]

Oh. Great! I'll mail send you an email with instructions and all you need to get started whenever you find the time. We have ongoing translations into swedish (soon done), spanish and italian. German would be superb to have as well given you guys are many =)
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Sep 05, 2010 18:13

snowdrop wrote:
Ravenchild wrote:
Yes, I could do that.
Oh. Great! I'll mail send you an email with instructions and all you need to get started whenever you find the time. We have ongoing translations into swedish (soon done), spanish and italian. German would be superb to have as well given you guys are many =)
Well if you need German assistance I can help you. But I only speak "high" German (Hochdeutsch).
Oh and welcome in the Wtactics community.
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Sep 05, 2010 18:48

snowdrop wrote: May I ask how old you are, how long you've been programming and projects you've worked on, and, the bingo question: What programming languages do you feel somewhat confident with? Notice, I don't care if you're not a coding wizard in them, just want to know what languages you feel you are "medium" or "beyond" in, skillwise.
It's probably 8 years, since I started teaching myself programming. Most of the time I'm only programming for myself. There have been only a few greater programs that I wrote for my studies. As a command line user I don't see, why I should write big programs for myself :lol:
But anyway, my favorite language are C, Lua and Python. I'm fluent in Java, JavaScript and PHP (I'm astonished how much I have not forgotten). I know my way around in several other languages and have looked into numerous others.
Programming is my hobby, you see ;)
Still, there is much to learn. Especially working in great projects and with other people :ugeek:
TorbenBeta wrote: Well if you need German assistance I can help you. But I only speak "high" German (Hochdeutsch).
Oh and welcome in the Wtactics community.
Thanks. I certainly do not intend to translate the game into a dialect :mrgreen:
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Sep 07, 2010 18:46

Is your e-mail associated with this forum correct/checked often by you?

And..what title do you want here on the forum,, under your nick? Coder, dev, something else?
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Wed Sep 08, 2010 06:34

snowdrop wrote:Is your e-mail associated with this forum correct/checked often by you?
It is.
And..what title do you want here on the forum,, under your nick? Coder, dev, something else?
Developer would be fine
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Sep 09, 2010 17:00

Set you to dev. Feel free to upload an avatar if you want to, makes it easier recognizing your posts :) You could use something from the WT art depot or whatever you want.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Sep 12, 2010 21:56

I really like your new avatar.