IsharaComix: Howdy!

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
IsharaComix
IsharaComix: Howdy!

Post by IsharaComix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 00:46

Hello world! My name's Barry, but I usually go by the handle IsharaComix.

In a nutshell, I'm a Free and Open Source software addict, a hard-working programmer, and a hopeless academic. I'm just about to graduate and get my Bachelor's degree, at which point I'm going to stay in school to pursue my Ph.D. in Computer Science. My primary interests are in the theory of computation and parallel algorithms, but I also take pleasure in opening an editor and just writing code... C, Python, Java, Assembler.

Ever since playing the original Pokemon TCG, card games have always been among my favorite types of games. The thrill of collecting new cards... the tactics of the game itself... the meta-strategy of trading cards and building a deck... all of these make CCGs a very unique kind of tabletop game. I even made a few of my own when I was in middle school. Of course, I didn't have any sort of understanding on how to make them balanced, so they weren't particularly challenging, but we still had fun, since in the end, it's not about what you're playing... it's who you're playing with.

I was really disheartened when I moved away from using proprietary software, but didn't see any initiatives to make a card game like the ones I loved to play while growing up. Then about a year ago or so, I see a topic for an Open Source CCG in the FreeGameDev forums. Guess who that was. ;D

I'm looking forward to seeing WTactics grow into something awesome. Not just into a fun game, but into a lively community of developers and players. Even in the era of online gaming, I'm hoping that this project can still capture the spirit of the tabletop. I'm not much of a forum-user (I prefer IRC), but I'll do what I can to add something of value to the community!
Ravenchild
developer

Re: Howdy!

Post by Ravenchild » Tue Apr 19, 2011 07:12

Nice to have you around :) And don't worry, we also have a heavily used IRC channel wtactics@freenode.net

That's quite a nice background story you have provided. Maybe we will see some cool ideas of yours in our game? The current rules (as documented in the Wiki) are by no means set in stone so feel free to comment on them and propose changes.

And by the way: Which timezone are you in?
IsharaComix

Post by IsharaComix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52

Thanks for the warm welcome. I live in the EST (GMT -5/-4) time zone.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sat Apr 23, 2011 20:14

it's not about what you're playing... it's who you're playing with.
+1

...kind of like the belief that you have to travel around the world to have a good time. It's so common that people miss the single most important thing, not the destination or the journey, but the being with some other nice person and having a good time.

There is also another side of gaming than the casual and fun one - the sometimes dark side within gamers and the competitive one. I for one don't think competition isn't the most important thing in a game, but I also believe it should be available for those who seek it and can handle it without joining the Emperor. ;)