Tamagochi around

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Tamagochi
Tamagochi around

Post by Tamagochi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 20:15

Hi there

I heard about the project from Gallaecio while waiting for food. I am Spanish, currently living in Elche, near Alicante, I am a Delphi developer, and I coded C and Python in the past, but I have to confess that they are little forgotten deep in my mind, but even so, I am confident I could rescue that knowledge if necessary or learn about other languages if required, so just ask if my coding skills are required. I have to say that I enjoy coding and I love gadgets and technology in general

I played MtG some years ago but I got tired of the business part of the game, and in addition to the amount of time it required and the speed of the updates, it made me quit. I remember playing other card games occasionally but I don't remember them

I also used to play fantasy role-playing games and some sci-fi a lot, when possible and liked to play tabletop games like Warhammer Fantasy (I don't remember where my dwarves are...), Carccasonne and some others, in addition to the classic board games, of course, and spent lots of hours with computer games of all kinds. I like mythology (but far from being an expert!), fantasy (usually on a middle age scenario) and sci-fi

I am also proficient of in English (you can get an idea reading this), and as my mother tongue is Spanish, I can also/would like to help with translation matters

I have two cats and a time consuming girlfriend, and I think that there isnt any interesting thing to say

Sorry for the length, let me know if you have any questions!
snowdrop
developer

Re: Tamagochi around

Post by snowdrop » Thu Jun 27, 2013 19:17

Tamagochi wrote:Delphi developer, and I coded C and Python in the past, /../ I am confident I could rescue that knowledge if necessary or learn about other languages if required, so just ask if my coding skills are required. I have to say that I enjoy coding and I love gadgets and technology in general
We have aspidites on ViCE that's either in C++ or python, a desktop client-server virtual table. We have another new person on an AI java-thingie, player vs computer, that's doing code on it from grounds up during Summer of Cards soon, and we do of course have Knitter doing Sandscape and Cardscape in PHP/AJAX.

You're always welcome in either of all of these one-man-teams, or to start something from scratch if the languages or projects doesn't interest you or if you think it should be done differently. Depends on what you like to code, but what we need is something that is a) open source b) truly cross platform and c) that allows a person to play the game vs another person or vs a computer or d) something else that is game related.

What do you think you'd be most interested in, and also prepared to work on in the long run? Important that it's something you fancy yourself...

I played MtG some years ago but I got tired of the business part of the game, and in addition to the amount of time it required and the speed of the updates, it made me quit
They release a block + a core set a year, sometimes more and many times also products around it. That's like at least 400 - 600 new or semi-new cards a year, and they also rotate in and out stuff. Some like that, while I personally share your sentiment and can't afford it in the long run (well, I can, but I rather afford healthy food and other things, like buying art for this project instead ; ) I don't have anything against people that enjoy it or that model.

To me 400 to 600 cards a year is too much. I can't ever find that amount of time to stay on top of my game and stay competitive. I do indeed enjoy expansions to any good game and usually get all of them to support the game developers & companies if I find them good, and love that CCG:s are modular.

For WT we will keep releasing new mini-expansions as long as the community wants it. In the case with for example MtG I do see an issue though with "sibling cards" and cards that are almost identical but just get new name, new graphics and are slightly modified, leading me to question the true uniqueness of many of the cards and the point with the releases other than re-selling what has already been sold once.

I also used to play fantasy role-playing games and some sci-fi a lot, when possible and liked to play tabletop games like Warhammer Fantasy (I don't remember where my dwarves are...), Carccasonne
Think most of us are fantasy and/or sci-fi buffs. :P

Warhammer is cool, real nerdness :D I only do light stuff like Dust Tactics (which is actually a boardgame, just played with overexpnesive and good looking stuff) but also boardgames like Carcca and what not. Anything that's good should be tried :) I learn plenty about game development by playing games myself and love gaming :P

I wouldn't have guessed Warhammer had found it's way to Spain. Just shows how little I know of the game scene over there :P

Spanish, I can also/would like to help with translation matters
You'll be super-needed and super-important for that work once we have a stable english version which we can start "freezing". That's at least six months ahead of us though.

I have two cats and a time consuming girlfriend, and I think that there isnt any interesting thing to say
lol...loved the remark about time consuming ;) Don't tell us she's into gaming as well :P

Sorry for the length, let me know if you have any questions!
No need for apogies, whoever doesn't want to read won't ;) It's not about quantity, but about quality. Your presentation had both :D
Erundil

Post by Erundil » Fri Jun 28, 2013 22:45

Hi :)
Tamagochi

Post by Tamagochi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 21:36

Hi!
snowdrop wrote: What do you think you'd be most interested in, and also prepared to work on in the long run? Important that it's something you fancy yourself...
I think I will stick to translation by the moment, first I want to get familiarized with everything and later I can see if I have time to assist with development :) (I hope so!)
I wouldn't have guessed Warhammer had found it's way to Spain. Just shows how little I know of the game scene over there :P
At least, when I played I knew a lot of people that was playing, but I think that Warhammer 40k was more popular. Time later, my brother (that's 11 years younger than me), used my dwarf army for a long time as well
Spanish, I can also/would like to help with translation matters
You'll be super-needed and super-important for that work once we have a stable english version which we can start "freezing". That's at least six months ahead of us though
Just let me know and I will try my best :) I will use my time to learn as much as possible
lol...loved the remark about time consuming ;) Don't tell us she's into gaming as well :P
She's not ... so far :) At least I can play Dead Nation on the PS3 with her, I tried to play something more complicated than parchis and she got bored, maybe it's my fault haha