Introduction Desttinghim

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Desttinghim
Introduction Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Sun Nov 13, 2016 17:48

Hello! I'm Louis, also known as Desttinghim on the web. I have just stumbled onto this site and I am pretty excited about the whole concept! I would like to join the development team primarily as a coder, but also as a writer and game designer. I already sent this message through the contact form, but I figured I should post it here as well.

Some background on me: I have had an interest in making games for a long time. This led to me learning how to program. I started around the time I was in fifth grade, and I am now a first year college student. I have lived all over the United States, and I am currently attending school in Idaho, though I'll be back and forth between here and Wisconsin between school semesters. Now, I played Magic ultra casually in high school because pretty much everyone else in my school did (this was a seriously nerdy school). I was never too good at it, mostly because I never bought anything more than one starter pack. Now that I'm in college, I've begun to play Magic more because of my roommate who has a bunch of decks. He doesn't play competitively but he does make some cool legacy decks. After seeing some of the cool stuff he had made, I decided to design my own deck. After I did that, I decided to play test it using a Magic simulator called forge. Then I became interested in programming something similar, and designing my own CCG, and that finally led me to find this site.

At this moment, I'm most interested in programming a simulator that enforces the rules and has an AI, but I understand that's not the current focus. I should be able to do pretty much any programming task with due time. I know many programming languages, but Haxe is my specialty. C/C++ and Javascript come after that. I'm also interested in play-testing, though I'm not sure my input would be terribly helpful. I could also help with writing and editing.

So that's me. I'm excited to see where this project goes, and hopefully I can be a part of it! And thank you to everyone who's made it through my scattered writing up to this point!
Peter

Re: Introduction Desttinghim

Post by Peter » Sun Nov 13, 2016 18:28

From me a strong "Welcome"!

I suck at contributing much to this project, because always something else comes the way. I really appreciate another programmer! When the time has come an AI developer would be cool! I lost the overview who all is actively developing something for WTactics. Several guys :)

And for game design (developing rules and cards and decks and game engines) and other tasks (like writing documentation, for example a short tutorial) there is still a lot of work to be done. Right now we are starting the playtesting of the rules and two decks.

Magic the Gathering is quite cool, but with WTactics you don't have to buy lots of boosters anymore :) And WTactics artwork is stunning in my humble opinion. Well, that's a question of taste, of course.
Kind regards and happy coding :)
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Sun Nov 13, 2016 19:14

Welcome Louis, and feel free to shout if you have any questions - I wrote most of the stuff in my prev. mail to you.

I'm also around on Skype and Discord if voice chat is prefered for more complicated or lenghty discussions, but am GMT+1 ; )

Edit: Oh, I also think I saw and approved all the 40 corrections you did on saga.li rules. Awesome work! Holler if you happen to want to do AI for that if you decide against it for a CCG, it should be way way easier...
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 22:52

Hi Louis,

Warm welcome from me as well. Feel free to drop by our dev #WTactics channel at freenode,
whenever you feel like it.

Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Tue Nov 15, 2016 21:13

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everybody! I will probably take the advice to not start on AI code, and instead focus on play testing for the moment.Once I get the cards printed out, I will try and coerce my roommates into playing with my. I will probably report my experiences back when that's over.

See ya until then (or sooner)!
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:26

Hi Louis
Desttinghim wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everybody! I will probably take the advice to not start on AI code, and instead focus on play testing for the moment.Once I get the cards printed out, I will try and coerce my roommates into playing with my. I will probably report my experiences back when that's over.

See ya until then (or sooner)!
The first ARC deck prints are close, if you like I can get you a hard copy.
The proof print of the Gaian deck should be in today.

Then its a last double check on all card-rules, and a public-play test print to distribute around the devs.

Kind regards,
Nico
Desttinghim

Post by Desttinghim » Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:32

I would definitely be interested in prints whenever they are available.