Introduction Alex

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Alex
Introduction Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 12, 2018 01:27

Hello! I'm a software developer living in Philadelphia, PA, United States. I'm a vegan, animal rights activist, and I develop libre software for a living.

Magic the Gathering used to be one of my favorite games, but the more I played it the more my ethical concerns about the game started to grow. The artificial scarcity of the cards, strict enforcement of intellectual property by Wizards of the Coast, and the financial and emotional toll this game takes on people is something I could not get behind anymore. I quit playing the game. I had already spent thousands of dollars on cards and felt taken advantage of and angry. I could write a lot more about this issue, but I'll save that for a future blog post.

Anyway, for a long time I've wished that a free (as in freedom) version of the game existed. I had planned to create one, but it was such an undertaking, and I was afraid to try because I know Wizards would just try to sue. I'm thrilled to see that Arcmage has done it, and they've done a lot of hard work to create a game that's unique. I think the game has captured everything I liked about MTG while fixing everything I hate about it like artificial scarcity, proprietaryness, and even the way lands/resources are handled. Bravo.

I hope to become more involved, but the first step for me will be creating a playgroup in my area. :) Thanks for taking the time and effort to create this game so I don't have to, and I can enjoy it while making other contributions to the public commons.
ngoeminne

Re: Introduction Alex

Post by ngoeminne » Wed Apr 25, 2018 19:15

Hi Alex,

Welcome aboard! The project has been a bit slow lately, so hopefully you can help it pick up the pace once more.

Kind regards,
Nico