Simons Mith

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
Simons Mith
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith » Mon Nov 08, 2010 17:16

Technical writer, proofreader, editor.

I'm willing to help with general writing, editing etc. If you want me to do a specific piece of work, ask me, or point me to the bit you want me to work on. Gimme a priority list and I can start working down it. Skimming through the Wiki, there's clearly a fair amount of material that could use minor attention - typography, for example - but I don't really know which bits are worth working on, or what should be done first.
Q_x
developer

Re: Simons Mith

Post by Q_x » Mon Nov 08, 2010 17:54

Hi there!
Good to see you here, welcome.
There is nothing set in stone yet, really, but I thing snowdrop may point you some pieces thought to be permanent. Asking on IRC or via e-mail will work pretty fast, I think.
And, since I'm deep into DTP stuff, I will joyfully work side by side with someone who sees more than typos :)

Cheers,
Luke
I'm the filthy bastard you wish you never met.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 07:43

Howdy..

We do indeed have the need of a proofreader & editor as almost none of us are native english speakers. I'm sure that the blog is filled with problems on that front, and while the cards and much of the wiki is still in a not stable enough state to put down that effort on them (yet), the static blog pagesin english could perhaps be a good start?

Would you mind if I asked about your work/study, age, location and past experience?

I'd also need you to email me, from the email adress you use the most, the username you wish to use on blog/forum/wiki, even if it's Simons Mith. I will then be able to setup an account for you that will give you edit access to the blog page.

Edit: Typography part: I guess you would need to speak to our webguy to set all those things straight. Am I right?
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith » Tue Nov 09, 2010 23:06

Simons Mith, simon_smith snabel-a zen.co.uk

Can't see your email address anywhere, and I'm not allowed to use PMs yet.

Static blog pages - I'm cool with doing that. Could you give me a roughly prioritised list of URLs?

Typography - Whatever I'm working on, I'll introduce correct typography as I go. So it'll appear in stages. Wesnoth has a typography style guide on its wiki that you might want to take guidance from. It's what I'll be working from, at least initially, and I'll see about transferring a tweaked copy here. I can't see any reason not to just use HTML glyphs in web pages, and, subject to suitable international language support, the relevant Unicode characters in the cards themselves. But if that's not yet supported then that part of the conversion work can wait - and if I do the blog stuff first then it wouldn't be an immediate problem anyway.

Who is your webby person? I'm happy to send anything from lists of corrections to apply, or drop-in replacement web pages with the fixes. Or edit the site directly, once you've decided whether you trust me. But I'll stick with blog page tidying to begin with.

My background, I'm a currently unemployed technical writer and before that I was a system administrator. So off-hand I can't think of any technical boxes a tech author might need on the WTactics site that I don't tick. However, while I /can/ install, compile, configure, patch, script etc., I'm not really interested in getting into full-time programming, nor back into system administration. I'm freelancing for a Twickenham publishing company ATM, converting some of their portfolio into e-books, but that's only 1 day a week. Leaves a lot of time for boredom, and Flight of the Hamsters can only fill up part of the emptiness.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 16:29

Hi, I'm the web guy. You can reach me at pennomi at wtactics dot org. Just send me an email and we'll see what we can do. Also, we're going to need some catchy text to place on the main page, introducing the WTactics concept to the public. The main page isn't up yet, but if you have any ideas, let me know. I think eventually we're going to need to write up faction descriptions as well, so you can help on that.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Thu Nov 11, 2010 22:03

Simons, I created an account for you. Will PM you the login info.

Priority list is simply any static page, meaning, all posts that are called PAGES in Wordpress and not (NEWS) POSTS would do. Maybe about page and FAQ page would be a good start?