snowdrop

Say hi to the others - post an informative presentation of yourself. Follow these instructions.
Forum rules
Every presentation should be it's own separate thread. Each person is entitled to only one presentation. Follow these instructions.
snowdrop
developer
snowdrop

Post by snowdrop » Sun Jul 25, 2010 23:06

Greetings all....

For those of you that have missed out on it, I'm the founder of WTactics. I'm way beyond my teenage era, live in Malmö, Sweden, have a full time job and love CCG:s. WTactics is my latest project, one of many, that I'm very passionate about and that I'll follow through with.

While I really appreciate knowing more about each and everyone of you I myself prefer to keep a low profile and won't go into all too many details about me.

When it comes to gaming I have a long history with computer games that starts out with the epic times of the the C64, but in my case with an Amiga 500 and a 386 PC. I was fast to self-(and half)-learn AMOS, Quick Basic, Visual Basic etc. and still enjoy programming very much, even if I lack proper skills in it and hardly ever do it due to lack of time. I think it's very creative and amazing that people can envision a program and then create it just like they pictured it, often to solve a problem.

My favourite computer game genre of all time is the classical adventure games á la Sierra On-Line, Lucas Film and so on, with titles like Monkey Island 1 & 2, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, Police Quest, Leisure Suite Larry (yeah, I know... but they were hilarious nonetheless), Space Quest, Maniac Mansion, Willy Beamish and plenty of others. What I enjoyed most in the games was their scripts, dialogue and, in some rare cases, their amazing hand drawn graphics.

Playing CCG:s on a computer isn't my primary goal. I prefer to play with a real person sitting in front of me, sharing the fun and the moments, chit chatting face to face and all that comes along with it. I would however still rather play a CCG online or against the CPU than not play it at all ;) so I still consider it to be an alternative.

Needless to say I also like real table top games, i.e. Taluva, Carcassonne, Abalone, Chess, Dreamblade and many others.

Playing a game, for me, is about having fun and also about challenging oneself. I prefer games where randomness - so called "luck" - isn't really central to winning the game, and where skills will win it for you most of the times you play it.

My greatest CCG experiences come from several years of playing Magic: The Gathering and DoomTrooper, the two card games that I'll always have deep within my heart, albeit for very different reasons ;) I love the DT-theme, but adote MtG for it's solid gameplay.

As expected, I'm an advocate of open source solutions whenever such are viable. I've been a Linux user for several years now and I honestly believe an open source CCG is long overdue. With WTactics I want to give the world a nice card game that it can adopt and make it's own. The thought occurred to me some years ago when I was studying at the university of Lund - I had a hard time accepting the fact that having an interest in CCG:s should cost the players a small fortune, and questioned everything from the distribution models to the "corporate ethics". I also got the notion that I could create a good CCG "..if I only had the resources they have"... and thus, it all began taking shape.

This far the project has been a slow, bumpy, very time consuming and expensive ride. It has saddened me greatly that the worlds interest and willingness to help with an open source CCG has been literary non-existent, but, as it happens, I am a very patient person and have all the time in the world: I'm confident WTactics will become real, one way or the other. It's not a question of "if" any longer. It's a question of "when".
TorbenBeta

Re: snowdrop

Post by TorbenBeta » Fri Aug 13, 2010 19:39

It's nice to hear more from you but a question isn't answered like why have you chosen this name.
My first post, yeah!
Torben
snowdrop
developer

Re: snowdrop

Post by snowdrop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35

Name of me: I like the flower, I think it represents "renewal", kind of, like the winter is dying out and between winter and spring there is this little tiny tiny white flower breaking through the remains of the snow/ice that are melting away. It's a signal that something is about to change.

Name of game: Lack of better, but I do believe a game should have a short name. Also, the W stands for "Wesnoth", which 120 of the creatures are based of and come from.