first testdrive

Development of our card database & card dev. tool. Used as the Gatherer & to empower the community to create new cards. Lead dev: Knitter
snowdrop
developer
first testdrive

Post by snowdrop » Sun Dec 26, 2010 21:24

http://wtactics.org/cardscape

1. After logging in for first time as admin one sees "You have been successfully logged in! "-text. nothing happens after the text is displayed.

2. Password change is done in clear text: Should be *-signs, and also a control field where it has to be typed in again.

3. It says I'm logged / guest out while at the same time showing me as logged in. See pic 1.

4. No obvious way to create a new milestone (e.g. Gaian Core Release) for a new progress report, nor how to associate a submitted card to a specific milestone/report. (Take notice this wasn't in the feature specs of the original CS, but it could be a nice feature...)

5. Name of author when suggesting a new card is editable. It shouldn't be - nobody should be able to suggest a card in anyones elses name. Hence, it shouldnt be a text field at all.

6. Input in subtype field should be parsed so that each entry separated by a comma (,) is understood as a subtype of its _own_.

7. After adding a card text info "cardname added to database successfully. " is displayed, but no other page is loaded or shown. Same goes for the "Card updated successfully! " text.

8. Strange naming conventions of images, forcing all games/cards to use caps on every word to create space etc. Cardname and filename being equivalent also makes it hard to use special signs in card names since some filesystems etc will have issues with handling them properly.

Some key features still missing:

- Advanced/flexible search (foodoo had something cooking?)

- Wiki like diff/comparisson between versions & rollback (by users higher than guest/registered)

- Pic upload
Attachments
1.jpeg
TorbenBeta

Re: first testdrive

Post by TorbenBeta » Sun Dec 26, 2010 22:52

Thanks for this late Christmas gift.
I think this is really a step forward.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 02:24

First off: Yay! I hope that you all set up an account and test it out. Please post all bugs, questions, frustrating design, etc. Realize that the whole system is really buggy right now - for some reason, none of the redirects are working, so you will probably need to do a lot of "back buttoning" or "url direct accessing".

I'm rather interested in the comments system, so please try that out. Currently Cardscape is in Alpha, so still put all card suggestions in the forums system. Even so, I'd recommend trying to post new suggestions on cardscape too.

Now, addressing some issues:
snowdrop wrote: 1. After logging in for first time as admin one sees "You have been successfully logged in! "-text. nothing happens after the text is displayed.
This is a bug. All redirects are broken. Looks like the culprit is the "header('Location: url')" function, which doesn't print anything out. ??? It works on localhost, but not on this server.
2. Password change is done in clear text: Should be *-signs, and also a control field where it has to be typed in again.
My fault. I was being lazy and didn't ever finish that one.
3. It says I'm logged / guest out while at the same time showing me as logged in. See pic 1.
This is a really bad bug. Apparently, the admin account loses privileges when it tries to edit user info. Not quite sure what is causing it, but I'll investigate.
4. No obvious way to create a new milestone (e.g. Gaian Core Release) for a new progress report, nor how to associate a submitted card to a specific milestone/report. (Take notice this wasn't in the feature specs of the original CS, but it could be a nice feature...)
Right. This is a missing feature. Right now, the "Progress report" is a custom page tailored only to the current WTactics goal. I haven't figured a good way to do this yet, but I'll keep thinking.
5. Name of author when suggesting a new card is editable. It shouldn't be - nobody should be able to suggest a card in anyones elses name. Hence, it shouldnt be a text field at all.
Desired behavior. This only happens when the user is admin.
6. Input in subtype field should be parsed so that each entry separated by a comma (,) is understood as a subtype of its _own_.
Right now, the subtype is written exactly as it will appear on the card. I don't think it will cause a problem with the search function if this is the case. It will use regex to pull out all the subtypes from the list. Currently, I recommend the subtype to look like this: Unique - Elf - Leader (parsed by " - ").
7. After adding a card text info "cardname added to database successfully. " is displayed, but no other page is loaded or shown. Same goes for the "Card updated successfully! " text.
Once again, all redirects are broken. Those should both redirect back to the card page.
8. Strange naming conventions of images, forcing all games/cards to use caps on every word to create space etc. Cardname and filename being equivalent also makes it hard to use special signs in card names since some filesystems etc will have issues with handling them properly.
Agreed. I simply did the first thing that came to my mind. Any suggestions on the file naming convention? I will fix this when I add the image uploader.
Some key features still missing:
- Advanced/flexible search (foodoo had something cooking?)
I'll leave that to foodoo or implement it myself after the rest is all fixed.
- Wiki like diff/comparisson between versions & rollback (by users higher than guest/registered)
I think this is a much needed feature. Currently, this is not possible. I have some ideas for this, however, so I'll work on this, after I fix the major bugs and implement the pic upload.
- Pic upload
First thing on the list after fixing the bugs.
TorbenBeta

Post by TorbenBeta » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26

Can it be that only I'm unable to upload my Avatar?
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:48

TorbenBeta wrote:Can it be that only I'm unable to upload my Avatar?
Cardscape uses the Gravatar system only. You should register your email address and avatar on Gravatar.com and it will show up automatically. (The same thing goes for the comments thread on the blog - your avatar will magically show up if you use Gravatar.)

Note to self: Explain this on the account registration page.
snowdrop
developer

Post by snowdrop » Mon Dec 27, 2010 23:33

penn wrote: Any suggestions on the file naming convention? I will fix this when I add the image uploader.
Each card(version?) seems to have a unique ID number that you use in the URL when viewing the card. Why not associate each image with one such ID?

The uploaded image will then get the same number as the ID. Id will however not be replaced unless a new image is uploaded for the card, in which case it will, again, fect the most current ID.
pennomi
developer

Post by pennomi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 22:36

Fixed bugs:
* broken redirects.
* inability to edit users.
* loss of permissions when users are edited.

It should be relatively smooth from here on out. Now we'll focus on providing features.