icons in CS?

Development of our card database & card dev. tool. Used as the Gatherer & to empower the community to create new cards. Lead dev: Knitter
pennomi
developer
icons in CS?

Post by pennomi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 22:51

pennomi wrote:
They show the status of the card. Each letter and color corresponds to something along the lines of Concept/Refine/Approved/Official etc.
I like this idea, though it might confuse people who are new to cardscape to just see a giant letter. What could we do to make it more intuitive?
What about icons and colors? Concept: thought bubble, yellow; Revise: pen and paper?, orange; Playtest: dice, green; Official: star, blue.

Maybe stuff from http://thenounproject.com
snowdrop
developer

Re: icons in CS?

Post by snowdrop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 00:56

pennomi wrote: What about icons and colors? Concept: thought bubble, yellow; Revise: pen and paper?, orange; Playtest: dice, green; Official: star, blue.

Maybe stuff from http://thenounproject.com
I myself would use colours sparsely to avoid a circus or clutter/distraction effect. For that very reason I only used white for the edit "button" (seen only by admins etc and card author)

It could be worth testing out icons I guess. Whats hard with icons is that its sometimes very hard to find or create good ones that actually have a logical connection to what they symbolize. So, most often, and for that reason, I tend to not use icons myself.

Give it a shot though. Some straight forward ideas: Eye for INFO, Scissors or Hand for EDIT, X-mark for DELETE, ! or whatever for REPORT. Scroll, ancient pillar or eye for HISTORY etc...

Just keep in mind one thing: Having plenty of icons makes the counter-productive. I think their usage should be minimal, and that we shouldn't have a unique icon for every thinkable clickable link in CS... that would be a pure disaster. Only stuff that is often used should have icons, if anything.

Edit: good site btw :) Love that its PD & SVG :P