What's the status of this project?

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
DarkAttic
What's the status of this project?

Post by DarkAttic » Sun Mar 29, 2015 17:06

Hi, I love the idea of an open source ccg, and after having browsed through your great looking website and here on the forums I'm wondering just what the current status of this project is. It seems to have been quite some time since there was any kind of update or news(more than a year in your own news section of the website!), and the forums seem to be almost as quiet too. I looked for you on Google+ thinking that maybe you were posting updates there but that doesn't seem to be in use at all(not for several years anyway).

Anyway, you've all done a fantastic job with this project so far. Cards look very professional and the rules document(I've the PDF version) is very informative. On top of that, Kudos to whoever designed your website, it looks great and is a delight to use and navigate.

I hope this project is still active. I'd love to try it. Thanks in advance :)
Knitter
developer

Re: What's the status of this project?

Post by Knitter » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53

You'll probably get more answers on the IRC channel, at freenode #wtactics, take a look there if you haven't already.

Most of us are doing *something* though with life happening and some procrastination, there is not much on the website when it comes to news and new info :-) . Also doesn't help that the forum software doesn't send notifications when new replies are placed.

Regards,

Knitter
Rejoice! For very bad things are about to happen.
DarkAttic

Post by DarkAttic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 15:49

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out. Thanks.
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Oct 18, 2015 17:58

Sometimes my memory nudges me that there is this project that I haven't looked at for quite some time...

Which now makes me wonder: What is currently needed to bring this project back to live besides people writing stuff in the forum?
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Tue Nov 17, 2015 03:18

Ravenchild wrote:Sometimes my memory nudges me that there is this project that I haven't looked at for quite some time...

Which now makes me wonder: What is currently needed to bring this project back to live besides people writing stuff in the forum?
People writing code....

If that sounded snarky, it was. However, it was snarky toward myself, not you :-)
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sat Dec 19, 2015 07:32

Well, what kind of code is needed?
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Sun Dec 20, 2015 19:34

@Ravenchild,

I'm not sure. If this project were to reboot, I'd think interested parties would need to have a meeting of sorts to figure out what's needed. For instance, while I still have a public repo for ViCE and some unpublished stuff locally, do we really need such a thing when Tabletop Simulator exists?
Ravenchild
developer

Post by Ravenchild » Sun Dec 20, 2015 20:05

Wow... I did not know about tabletop simulator before. Seems very versatile. Did someone already try a game of WTactics with it?
Korric

Post by Korric » Tue Dec 22, 2015 02:55

I would also be super-interested in a pnp card game version of Wesnoth. Is the project likely to be revived, or is it pretty much dead at this point?
aspidites

Post by aspidites » Tue Dec 22, 2015 14:37

@RavenChild - I have not. I Think my other motivation for even keeping ViCE around was the idea of having some form of automation (which, as I recal, snowdrop said he could do without), and b) the open source aspect.

@Korric - It's open source. While it is more than likely dead in it's current incarnation, I feel like it could be revived in some capacity.

To that end, I think I'd want smaller, reachable goals. It's been too long for me to do a proper post mortem, but I thiink a lot of what caused this project to fail (assuming we admit failure) in it's current form is that there were too ambitious of goals with no end in sight. I think if we could tackle the project in smaller bits, we'd fair better.

The other thing is that this is an art-heavy game, and artists in the open source world (especially when cards are considered) are rather rare. While we have some art work, I don't think there are enough to make the kind of game we were originally wanting to make. Unless, of course, we stick with placeholders, which would at least allow us to get the mechanics correct.

I