ViCE is dead

Anything related to dev. & that doesn't fit in below categories.
aspidites
ViCE is dead

Post by aspidites » Wed Jan 06, 2016 23:03

I probably could have written this in code, but I figured it'd be more visible here.

Some of you might know that I started working on ViCE again a few weeks back. To date:

- there is a database with cards, decks, players, and games logged in it
- there is a server which allows you to search for cards, decks, and games, in addition to responding to requests to join or start a new game
- there is a client which allows you to load a game or deck, join a game, and visualize a player's hand

Over the next few weekends, I intended to make the server API more exhaustive and allow the client to leverage that API. In between then, I've been reading up on various programming techniques and even drafted a way to implement snowdrop's live deck feature using free monads.

Unfortunately, I inevitably had questions about how to accomplish certain things in my language of choice. Rather than getting answers to my queries, I was often met with questions about why I was doing what I was doing and was reminded of the fact that Tabletop Simulator existed.

It's happened on multiple occasions by now, and I'm rather sick of it. It's both unhelpful and discouraging, so I'm finally throwing in the towel. Anyone that wants what ViCE aimed to be should just use Tabletop simulator. If they don't have the money to buy Tabletop Simulator, there is of course LackeyCCG, which does have a Wtactics plugin.

I've written more about my frustrations and discouragement on my personal blog at http://aspidites.org if anyone needs/wants more details.

Sorry to disappoint anyone,
Aspidites
Ravenchild
developer

Re: ViCE is dead

Post by Ravenchild » Fri Jan 08, 2016 17:45

Wow, that's unfortunate to hear. Negativity can be really harmful. Nevertheless, for my own part I like to thank you for your efforts because I appreciate them. Relying on a non-free (in both senses of the word) software to play this game over the internet is a show-stopper and ViCE would have been really helpful for the further develoment of WTactics.
snowdrop
developer

Re: ViCE is dead

Post by snowdrop » Sun Mar 27, 2016 13:51

Asp, do you have TS yourself? Tried it? (I have it, but haven't played any ccg in it yet and can't say if it's good or bad... except for the obvious that it isn't open source..)